Tuesday, January 28, 2014

touchstones


This past spring I read this blog post,
and I find it fascinating, the security and love 
behind these simple gestures between a child and parent.

I saw it last week, while Cordie was at her sickest, 
she kept coming to my bedside throughout the night, 
when I asked what she needed she would whisper, "you."
So I laid on the floor next to her bed, then she asked, "you hold my hand please?"
and I did. 
When I thought she was in a deep sleep,
 I tried to sneak out and head to my warm cozy bed,
but she would jerk awake and whine for me to stay,
and I did, and thank goodness at 27 I can still sleep on the floor.


I see it when Penny climbs a little too high (her little purple stool)
or finds herself stuck,
and she whines and cries till either Levi and I go in, 
as soon as we're within arms length she just throws her body to us and melts into our arms.

I see it when Sonora heads into a new and unknown situation,
like when we went to sign her up for school,
 and as we waited in the office she stood as close to me as she possibly could, 
slightly on top of my toes. 

I am aware of my own times when I am visit with my parents,
how a simple hand squeeze from my mom (remember she has the softest hands),
 or big hug from my dad (his are best)
can relax my nerves and leave me feeling loved.

But it doesn't just end there,
as children of God,
loved by the perfect Father,
His Word can be our touchstone to him,
we retreat to Him in our prayers.
After my melancholy weekend, that reached its peak last night,
I find this morning, while reaching for my touchstone,
 that I remember who I am,
whose I am.

And I am greatly encouraged by how John concludes his first letter: 



"And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, 
so that we may know him who is true; 
and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. 
He is the true God and eternal life. 
 Little children, keep yourselves from idols."
1 John 5:20-21




Happy Tuesday, for real!!

No comments:

Post a Comment