Thursday, September 12, 2013

autumn senses (here's to hoping)

Ha! Despite the disgusting heat, 
I know that it should be fall!
Here is why...
look at those burnt yellow leaves!

seeing :: Halloween costumes at Wal*Mart... and pumpkins everywhere!

talking :: about how Mama is going to make Wonder Woman, Superman, and Minion costumes for her littles.

smelling :: fires and fall spices. 

feeling ::  an actual cool breeze, which to me symbolizes summer as over, even if days are still rather warm. Summer in Oklahoma feels like there is a constant hair dryer being blown on our town, so I welcome a slight drop in hot, humid temperatures.

reading :: just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and it was awesome, intriguing, a book that had me laughing out loud, crying so hard I made my girls worry, and wishing I wasn't so callous about the hard things that have happened and are happening to our world. The movie comes out November 15th, and I can't decide whether to allow many strangers to see my ugly cry face, or to wait till I can blubber in my own house. 

listening :: to The Oh Hello's per usual. Check out the violinist's sweet mustache, reminds me of my Grandpa Brown.

teaching :: letters and sounds to "Nordie". We are also reading this book on Fairies, and making them houses outside.

planning :: sweet baby Pip's 1st birthday!! Swings, balloons, and of course, chocolate cake! 





crunching :: leaves!! At the park, in our backyard, around the church. Cordie even gathered a bouquet of yellow leaves at the library!



tasting :: Zucchini Bread, reminds me of my mama!

Autumn Zucchini Bread
recipe from my mother, makes about 2 loaves.

1 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
a dash of cloves


--mix together--

then add
3 beaten eggs
1 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups zucchini, shredded

pour into loaf pans, Bake @ 325* for 1 hour,
then 350* for 15 minutes. 


Enjoy warm with a nice spread of butter over the top and a cup of coffee!


Happy Fall everyone! I hope it cools off soon!

1 comment:

  1. A.) I love fall.
    B.) Southern California fall is not the same as Mid West fall. I will be living vicariously though you.
    C.) I'm going to make that bread!

    ReplyDelete